Chapter Fourteen
The more I thought about it, the more I thought it probably was just a fraternity prank. I wasn't an expert on such things, but I thought maybe since one of the frats was having a party they'd make their pledges do something stupid.
They were always making their pledges do something stupid, right? I mean, that's how I met Isaac. He was a pledge, doing something stupid. Lucy never noticed that I'd given him her green underwear the night I met him. When I saw him the next week, in the mailroom, he vaguely remembered our encounter. His mailbox was in the same corridor as mine, and when I walked in he looked up and smiled.
"Do I know you?" he asked.
"You don't remember me?" I feigned shock. "I'm offended!"
He looked worried.
"After all," I continued as I opened my mailbox. "I don't give my underwear to just anyone.
He laughed and shook his head.
"Oh," he said, tapping an envelope against his palm. "Last week. Forgive me, I'm a drunken idiot."
"Yeah, I figured that. So did you complete your scavenger hunt?"
"Um. I think so."
"Any chance my roommate can get her underwear back?"
"Doubtful," he said. "I think all the underwear is taped to the wall in the house common room."
"Classy."
"Yeah, tell me about it," he said as he closed his mailbox. I shoved all of my mail in my bag without looking at it, thinking that was the end of the conversation. I wished I hadn't been wearing pajama pants, especially at 2 in the afternoon. Christ, I hadn't even showered yet.
"You know, I'd really like the chance to prove I'm not always a drunken fool," he said. I looked up quickly.
"Oh, would you?"
"I would." He readjusted his baseball cap.
"Well, you know where I live," I said, closing my mailbox. "Prove it tonight, 8 o'clock."
I shouldered my bag and walked away, laughing my way up the stairs when I heard him yell, "wait, what dorm was it again?"
He did show up, at 8 on the dot. He knocked on the door and I opened it to find him standing there holding a bottle of wine, a package of popcorn, and a copy of Sleepless in Seattle.
"Pretty optimistic, there," I said.
"What can I say?" he grinned. "It runs in the family."
I motioned him inside and closed the door, silently praying that Lucy would be stuck at the library for a while.
They were always making their pledges do something stupid, right? I mean, that's how I met Isaac. He was a pledge, doing something stupid. Lucy never noticed that I'd given him her green underwear the night I met him. When I saw him the next week, in the mailroom, he vaguely remembered our encounter. His mailbox was in the same corridor as mine, and when I walked in he looked up and smiled.
"Do I know you?" he asked.
"You don't remember me?" I feigned shock. "I'm offended!"
He looked worried.
"After all," I continued as I opened my mailbox. "I don't give my underwear to just anyone.
He laughed and shook his head.
"Oh," he said, tapping an envelope against his palm. "Last week. Forgive me, I'm a drunken idiot."
"Yeah, I figured that. So did you complete your scavenger hunt?"
"Um. I think so."
"Any chance my roommate can get her underwear back?"
"Doubtful," he said. "I think all the underwear is taped to the wall in the house common room."
"Classy."
"Yeah, tell me about it," he said as he closed his mailbox. I shoved all of my mail in my bag without looking at it, thinking that was the end of the conversation. I wished I hadn't been wearing pajama pants, especially at 2 in the afternoon. Christ, I hadn't even showered yet.
"You know, I'd really like the chance to prove I'm not always a drunken fool," he said. I looked up quickly.
"Oh, would you?"
"I would." He readjusted his baseball cap.
"Well, you know where I live," I said, closing my mailbox. "Prove it tonight, 8 o'clock."
I shouldered my bag and walked away, laughing my way up the stairs when I heard him yell, "wait, what dorm was it again?"
He did show up, at 8 on the dot. He knocked on the door and I opened it to find him standing there holding a bottle of wine, a package of popcorn, and a copy of Sleepless in Seattle.
"Pretty optimistic, there," I said.
"What can I say?" he grinned. "It runs in the family."
I motioned him inside and closed the door, silently praying that Lucy would be stuck at the library for a while.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home