Chapter Twelve
When I got back to the dorm, I was glad to see Lucy wasn't there. Neither was Isaac. Luckily, my Notebook was right where I left it. I hoped no one had peeked at it, because I'd never be able to convince anyone who saw what was written in there that I wasn't completely batshit crazy.
I'd left my car parked on the street. I figured I'd go down there tomorrow and pretend someone had broken in to my car but hadn't stolen anything. Although, it would be really convenient if someone happened to walk by and steal the CD player or something. I would have taken it out myself, but I had no idea how to do that. I just hoped no hotwire-savvy person would see my car. I was sure my parents would replace the window or CD player, but I didn't know how they would feel about replacing the entire car.
I figured I should do some damage control before I did anything else, so I called Isaac's cell and left him a voicemail. I told him I was sorry I blew up at him, but I'd had a fight with my mother earlier that day.
I didn't know what to tell Lucy and Isaac about the whole skipping class thing. Obviously, I'd had no idea Lucy had even suspected anything. I guess I wasn't as sneaky as I thought. Maybe I could make up some bullshit like I was thinking of changing my major and I was taking some time off to think about it. Whatever, I was sure I could think of something to satisfy both of them. I just couldn't keep lying about it.
I left Lucy a note on her desk saying I was sorry for how I acted earlier and went to take a hot shower. When I got back to the room, Lucy was sitting on the futon watching TV.
"Hey," I said, putting my shower caddy in its cubby.
"Hey," she said, not looking at me.
"Did you see my note?"
"Yeah," she sighed. "It's OK."
"I really am sorry," I said. "I was out of line."
"I know something's going on," she said. "I just wish you'd tell me."
"It's just my parents," I said. I walked behind the futon to change. Also, so she couldn't see my face.
"What's going on now?"
"It's stupid really. I told them I might want to change majors and they flipped out."
"You're changing majors?"
"Well," I said. Showtime. "I thought about it. That's why I hadn't been going to class. But I think I've decided against it."
"Oh."
"Yeah, my parents were totally against it and I don't really know what I'd change it to anyway."
"Is that it?" she asked.
"Pretty much."
"So what's with the notebook?" Shit.
"Oh, it's just a journal."
"Oh. That's a relief."
"Why?"
"I don't know. I thought maybe you had your plans of world domination written in there."
"Ha! That's crazy," I tried to sound casual.
"Hey, you never know who might turn into the Unibomber," Lucy laughed. "If you had started wearing hooded sweatshirts I might have turned you in."
"Very funny," I said. "Hey, do you wanna grab some dinner? I think I'm gonna need my strength for this party later."
"Good idea."
"Ok, give me ten minutes and I'll be ready."
"Cool."
I leaned over the futon, grabbed my bookbag and threw it on my bed, hoping Lucy wouldn't notice that I was trying to get the Notebook as far as possible from her. I threw some clothes over the bag and went to dry my hair in the bathroom. I hoped my major-switching story had fooled her. I was definitely going to have to start going to classes again, though. Either that, or work on my stealth skills.
I'd left my car parked on the street. I figured I'd go down there tomorrow and pretend someone had broken in to my car but hadn't stolen anything. Although, it would be really convenient if someone happened to walk by and steal the CD player or something. I would have taken it out myself, but I had no idea how to do that. I just hoped no hotwire-savvy person would see my car. I was sure my parents would replace the window or CD player, but I didn't know how they would feel about replacing the entire car.
I figured I should do some damage control before I did anything else, so I called Isaac's cell and left him a voicemail. I told him I was sorry I blew up at him, but I'd had a fight with my mother earlier that day.
I didn't know what to tell Lucy and Isaac about the whole skipping class thing. Obviously, I'd had no idea Lucy had even suspected anything. I guess I wasn't as sneaky as I thought. Maybe I could make up some bullshit like I was thinking of changing my major and I was taking some time off to think about it. Whatever, I was sure I could think of something to satisfy both of them. I just couldn't keep lying about it.
I left Lucy a note on her desk saying I was sorry for how I acted earlier and went to take a hot shower. When I got back to the room, Lucy was sitting on the futon watching TV.
"Hey," I said, putting my shower caddy in its cubby.
"Hey," she said, not looking at me.
"Did you see my note?"
"Yeah," she sighed. "It's OK."
"I really am sorry," I said. "I was out of line."
"I know something's going on," she said. "I just wish you'd tell me."
"It's just my parents," I said. I walked behind the futon to change. Also, so she couldn't see my face.
"What's going on now?"
"It's stupid really. I told them I might want to change majors and they flipped out."
"You're changing majors?"
"Well," I said. Showtime. "I thought about it. That's why I hadn't been going to class. But I think I've decided against it."
"Oh."
"Yeah, my parents were totally against it and I don't really know what I'd change it to anyway."
"Is that it?" she asked.
"Pretty much."
"So what's with the notebook?" Shit.
"Oh, it's just a journal."
"Oh. That's a relief."
"Why?"
"I don't know. I thought maybe you had your plans of world domination written in there."
"Ha! That's crazy," I tried to sound casual.
"Hey, you never know who might turn into the Unibomber," Lucy laughed. "If you had started wearing hooded sweatshirts I might have turned you in."
"Very funny," I said. "Hey, do you wanna grab some dinner? I think I'm gonna need my strength for this party later."
"Good idea."
"Ok, give me ten minutes and I'll be ready."
"Cool."
I leaned over the futon, grabbed my bookbag and threw it on my bed, hoping Lucy wouldn't notice that I was trying to get the Notebook as far as possible from her. I threw some clothes over the bag and went to dry my hair in the bathroom. I hoped my major-switching story had fooled her. I was definitely going to have to start going to classes again, though. Either that, or work on my stealth skills.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home